Monday, January 7, 2013

Nineteen Eighty-Four

I have recently read - and loved - the book Nineteen Eighty-Four. With the book fresh in my mind it is always risky to watch the translation onto the screen. In the past, I have been bitterly disappointed many times, especially when not allowing some time to go by between book and film.

Thankfully, here the adaption of George Orwell's dark vision of the future is very close to the source material and wonderfully acted. The biggest burden of the film is on John Hurt's shoulders and he is nothing short of brilliant. Young Julia is played by one Suzanna Hamilton, who has remained obscure as an actress (before and after). The deceitful and turtoring O'Brien is portrayed by the great Richard Burton in his last film role. The film is dedicated to him.

I have already detailed the story in my book review and therefore will not do it again here, since I already mentioned the film's respect of the original text.

A bleak vision of a future, that has not quite arrived yet.

Brilliant.

10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment