Sunday, January 19, 2014

Saw

I just realized that most of my blog entries are more or less plot summaries of the films I watch. You can get those everywhere on the web, which makes it redundant. So, I will try to not do that in the future. Not sure what this means for my entries, but there it is. Maybe I will go back and rewrite some of my previous ones. Haven't decided, yet. Anyway....

Two friends and I meet roughly once per months for a movie night. We will watch anywhere from two to four films (depends on how early we start), most - but not all - of them will be horror films. Last night we started on the Saw series, because one friend had never seen any of the films (imagine!) and the other two of us couldn't quite remember how many we have actually watched.

...

This series is really kind of awesome. There are some aspects of the first film that I remember clear as day, but when watching it again last night, I found that there was so much I blocked out. All those flashbacks and scenes that take place elsewhere than inside the room gave me a few of those "oh, yes, that happened, too" moments. For example I could not for the life of me remember that Michael Emerson and Ken Leung are in this. Of course, this probably means that I watched Saw before I watched Lost and I simply did not have anything to connect them with.

What struck me most about the second viewing, though, was that I found myself thinking whether this film would also work without any (or most) of those scenes. What if it actually only took place inside the room? I get that this may leave a few gaps in the story for the viewer, but what that really be so bad? Don't get me wrong, Saw is great as it is, but I would not mind an alternate version that is more sparse.

I absolutely love, love, love the ending of this. Sure, I knew it was coming but I was so looking forward to it. Not even the gross-out bit of Dr. Gordon sawing his own foot off (that bit too) but the revelation of Jigsaw. I also love that they tied this room into the second part of the series, but I am getting ahead of myself...

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment