Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oscar Nominations 2014

The Oscar nominations for this year have just been announced and they are what was to be expected, mostly. There are only mild surprises, at best. The inclusion of Dallas Byers Club as a best picture nominee was probably not a shoe-in, otherwise the non-mainstream films include only the aforementioned Dallas Byers Club and Nebraska. Both have already been recognized by the Golden Globe voters, though.

Not nominated for best actor are Tom Hanks (who was excellent in Captain Phillips), Robert Redford (who was equally excellent in All Is Lost) and Joacquin Phoenix (I'm sure he is as brilliant as ever in Her). Well, someone had to make way for Leonardo DiCaprio, I guess. *eye-roll*

Anyway, the films in the Best Picture race - which will heavily influence my viewing over the next few weeks - are:

12 Years a Slave
Gravity
Dallas Byers Club
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

This leaves me with this viewing list: Dallas Byers Club, American Hustle, Her, Nebraska, Philomena. The Wolf of Wall Street I have zero interest in seeing, so this may be my skip of the year.

And, as usual, let me put the ones I have seen thus far in order from favorite to least favorite (the list is yet short).

Gravity
Captain Phillips
12 Years a Slave

No comments:

Post a Comment