Friday, February 20, 2015

Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child

An Unearthly Child/The Cave of Skulls/The Forest of Fear/The Firemaker

I started watching Doctor Who not too long ago (yes, yes, late to the party). Actually, I went all the way back to the very beginning. The reason I finally did succumb to watching it is because I adore Peter Capaldi. Sure, I could've just jumped in with his incarnation of the Doctor, but where is the fun in that.

So, An Unearthly Child it is.

Here's a question: are we supposed to like the First Doctor? Because I really don't. Nor do I care much for his shrieky granddaughter Susan. The school teachers that come along for the ride are sort of bland, too. Not the best start, but this was made in a much more innocent time and the lasted, even though the timing for their first episode couldn't have been worse (aired the day after JFK was killed), so there must have been something out it. I feel that time has not been kind to the early days of the show.

The first adventure jumps all the way back to the days of the cavemen (or a planet with cavemen and their enemies). They really jumped in with both feet and one has to admire that. The story is, you know, strange and not very scary (remember: innocent times).

This all coming from someone that is probably slightly jaded from watching tons of mysteries and horror stories and the like.

Serial 2 then went on to introduce the Daleks! There's something to stick around for!

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment